Thursday, July 7, 2011

Perfect picnic shirt

Well, I've just finished sewing up McCall's 6035 for the second time, this time view D. I like this one even more than my first try (view B). The fabric is this pretty green checked cotton, very nice shirting material. I've had it in my stash for probably close to 2 years.


The sleeve pieces are a very unusual shape, kind of like J's. But I love the finished sleeve. It's very cute, but still long enough to be warm, and the ties aren't too long or ridiculous.


I was about 9" short of the required fabric yardage, so I had to be very creative in cutting the sleeve back pieces. I also didn't have enough fabric to cut the ties, so I used a green floral print that I thought matched pretty well.

I had to size the lower half of the pattern up a bit, and the fit seems pretty good, not too snug, not baggy.

I am so happy I made this, it really was perfect for a picnic! I came close to putting this off yet again, but I'm really glad I took the time. I'm now trying to decide if others of my stash fabric are appropriate to make another one!





I think the buttons I found were really a cute addition. Pale yellow flowers. I didn't add the top button on the collar, as the buttons came in packages of 3, so it was easier to buy 6 than 7 (as the pattern uses).






I got this sewn up on the 3rd, so I actually got to wear it to the 4th of July picnic our friends had. We had a really great time. Their DD's birthday is the 4th, and their second child the 14th, so they combined it into a big birthday bash plus fireworks. Loads of fun! Liz had a really wonderful time, well we all did really. It was quite a long day, we didn't get home until 9. We didn't go see the big fireworks on the waterfront, Liz was just too worn out. I'm sure she'll be big enough to go next year. :)
Here is Liz with her friend Yana, and the little sister, Indigo. They all look so serious in this shot, but it was the only pic I got with all 3 of them in it. Maybe they were just serious about those hot dogs they were about to eat! lol


1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite patterns for a top! I love your version and made this one too a little while back in seersucker. Great job and a very nice look!

    ReplyDelete