Saturday, November 16, 2013

Liz's little suit

I made these pants for Liz for her Girl Scout uniform (I wanted her uniform complete for the Veterans Day Parade), so I bought a few yards of this soft, faux suede (khaki is the official color...close enough!).
I had enough left over material to make this little jacket, as long as I made the facing from a different material.
 I let Liz pick a fabric from my stash for the facing. :)  Thanks dad, and my dads friend Jay for this lovely found fabric!

Here you can see the facing is not a full lining, just partial.

The back of the jacket has a set of ruffles on it, I made them in the same contrasting fabric as the facing.

The pants are such a great fit!  The darts in the front and back, and the partial elastic waistband make for a very nice fitting yet comfy pant for an active kid!


  1. She looks like she LOVES the suit. It is a great look on her..

  2. I can't believe how big she's getting, and so beautiful (that profile picture of her is lovely). It looks like she's gotten used to modeling for mommy, too! I'm glad I was playing catch up on some blog reading, reading about Liz's new suit brought a smile to my face :)

  3. I am currently making this jacket for my granddaughter. I have spent HOURS trying to figure out the diagram and instructions #6 for sewing collar to the bodice. I am at an impasse. Pat

    1. I firmly believe that the pieces are not drafted correctly, as I never did figure it out. I mean, what they want you to do I figured out, but the pieces don't line up at all. There is almost a full inch too much fabric in the shoulders, on each side! I ended up making a pleat at each shoulder with the extra fabric, and that worked. It makes the back look a little bit messy, but not bad. I hope you can figure out a way to deal with it!