Monday, July 7, 2014

Summer knit dress, she loves dragons!

Here is Liz's new summer dress, part one of her Summer/Fall wardrobe I'm hoping to make her this month.

While out doing errands the other day, we stopped by Jo-anns to pick up some thread for another project, and I noticed they had a McCall's pattern sale.  I told Liz she could pick a pattern, and I would pick one for myself.  She selected McCall's 6915.
I realized I didn't have much in the way of knits in my stash, so and looked and saw their fun knits were on a good sale.  Liz picked 2 fabrics, one a purple and pink crinkle dye that she says looks like a dragon egg (looks like an Easter Egg at least.).  The other she selected is the crazy bird and floral pattern which will be my next project.

So she wanted the pink and purple made into the dress, and the other into a shirt.  I started with the dress, and saw that a previous reviewer mentioned it runs large.  I have about 4 yards of this plain grey knit, so I decided to put it to good use making a wearable muslin before cutting into the fancy fashion knit.

I'm so glad I did, the muslin was quite large.  Wearable, but wide in the body. 
After measuring the amount I needed to remove, I graded the pattern down to a size 2 in the shoulders, and 1 in the body.  The pattern only goes down to a 3, but I just kept going.
This meant I had to add a lot of length to the bodice, 2".  I left the skirt length at 6.  I think I should have added 3" to the bodice, and added another inch to the skirt.  The length is ok as it is, but I had to make a narrow hem to prevent it from being too short, and there is little room for her to grow taller in it.  Though one can always add ruffles, lol.

I didn't like the idea of the tied ribbon (it would just come off an active child), so I told her she could pick a knit trim.  Well, she picked this crazy sequin stuff because it looks like dragons scales to her, and has purple and pink in it to match the dress, and I do like the final effect.

She is so into dragons right now, this outfit may not look like it at first glance, but was entirely inspired by dragons, and mostly designed by Liz. :)

I finished hand sewing on the knit sequin trim early this evening, and we went outside to take pictures.  Ahh, summer.  Long afternoons, still warm and light outside at 7pm.

I think the back illustrates how much I improved the fit of the body.  That and the fact that she wanted to wear it to bed!  lol.  I had to tell her no (mostly because of the sequins in bed...seems less than comfy), but she can wear it as much as she wants in the daytime for the rest of the summer.

It's really good to be back to sewing.  Last month I started on a jacket for myself.  I got the base part assembled, but stopped at the point where I would start attaching the lining.  I think the heat killed my desire.  I hope to finish it next month though.  I hate UFO's.
But my spirits are really up, and I'm enjoying making this wardrobe for Liz.  I'm especially enjoying using my new serger!  I got it for Christmas but haven't had much opportunity to use it.  the next 5 projects are all knits, so it should get a lot of use.  I even broke a thread right after I started using it, and was able to re-thread it correctly!  That makes me feel much more comfortable with it, which is great because I'm still a little intimidated by sergers.
Here is my Pattern Review of the dress, for more technical sewing information.

1 comment: