Friday, June 10, 2011

Aprons make the perfect gifts!

Speaking of aprons, I thought I'd show the 5 I made last Christmas. One for Mom, one for Mom Pat, one for Brenna (sister-in-law), one for Grandpa Jim, and one for Mike (brother in law).

I used a different view from the vintage reprint Simpicity 3544 (PR review). I found the waistband to be odd, but it works.


This pretty plum print on ivory in the center was for my mother-in-law Pat. I used a vintage linen shower curtain for that apron, and I think it's my favorite. Check out the cool pockets and trim!




This orange and blue apron is for Brenna, my (almost) sister-in-law. Very vibrant colors, but I liked how they looked together.
I was worried the colors would be too extreme, but I really think they worked well. The crossover back with buttons makes this apron take a moment to put on, but the fit is very secure. I added extra buttonholes on the straps of all the aprons, so the recipients could adjust the size for best possible fit.






















Finally, the blue apron for my mom. I love the little flower applique. Mom's not the girliest girl, but I think she appreciates little decorations like this.
I also think the contrasting red ruffle and bias binding on the pocket really make it pop.

So you can see that 3 aprons from the same pattern can look very different with fabric choices, and a variety of embellishments.




















Next up, men's aprons!


My husband was kind enough to model McCall's 5366 (PR review). This is a water resistant rubber backed fabric perfect for outdoor grilling, for my Father in law.


The green checked cotton is underlined for durability. The shamrock applique is because hubby and his brother both have very high Irish pride. :)
I like this pattern enough that I know I'll make more, even for some of the ladies in the family since this is such a very practical apron!



Well, short post tonight, it's late. Had a very long day with my little one's last day of pre-school. Isn't she adorable in her "graduation" photo?
Grandparents came to watch the little show they put on, and everyone else is worn out and asleep.
My turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment